Sunday, September 11, 2011

About Floors of Gold

I have no doubt, for anyone that is new to Floors of Gold, that you are wondering at least a little bit about the name of this blog, community and who I am.  For starters, it is not my intention to come across as though we are rich or even hoping to be wealthy.  Rather, the name comes as inspiration from an article I read on Chabad.org entitled, "Going For Gold," by Yossy Goldman.  This article touched me more than you can possibly know.

Let me back up a bit.  Our family is not necessarily poor, be we are not wealthy by any means.  Over the last couple of years we have lost many possessions by selling things in order to keep bills paid.  In fact, as I write this, we do not even own a decent table to host Shabbat.  We use a card table that is foldable and portable which has scratches on the surface.  Needless to say, my discouragement turned to apathy as my beautiful decor slowly disappeared.

After reading the article, my perspective changed and I have a new resolution to find ways to make our Moadim or appointed times special and beautiful!  My intent is to get my focus off of myself and on the King and Creator of the Universe...I want these times special for Him, my husband, children and our guests.

Family!  I (Lady of the House) am married to Spock (alias).  Yes...he is very much like Spock in every way.  He prefers "logic to emotion, can be uncommunicative and has superior intellect" (he said this himself).  He may make an appearance every once in awhile just to help me out.  My sons (#1 and #2 or Barbosa and Sparrow) are getting closer to their Bar Mitzvah.  Gevald!  So little time, so much yet to do!

Food! Our family has chosen to eat Vegan (no animal products) which falls under Kosher Parve.  There are several reasons for this, but the main reason is for health and secondly for our budget.  We have a small garden, and hope to expand this spring, and cook as much healthy food from it as possible!  As I find recipes we love and that are kid approved, I will be happy to share them and I hope you will share yours with me!

Organize!  I am a very busy person.  I home educate, run a business and am the keeper of my home...which means I multi-task like its going out of style.  My goal is to stay very organized for Shabbat and other Simchas and pass along what is and is not working for me to you.  If you have organizational tips, please share them!

Decor! I do not have a large budget for decorating our Simchas so I will share with you my creative ideas which may come from my sewing machine, glue gun, thrift store or antique stores.  I hope that you will share your creative ideas with me too!

Etiquette!  What is a beautiful occasion if people have horrible manners or the hospitality is lacking?  I am going back to the basics to be sure that my children are not offending our mature guests and that my hospitality efforts are warm enough to bring people back to my home over and over again!  Would you be so kind as to share your stories too?

Please join me on this journey to make our Simchas beautiful.  The exciting part is that we have fifty-two Shabbats in a year plus the festivals, and then other things like weddings, babies, and birthdays...L'Chaim!  It is going to take hard work, planning, creativity and passion to do it, but...we are going to do it well and enjoy every moment!

Shalom!
The Lady of the House

P.S. If there is a particular topic that you would like to see on Floors of Gold, questions that you may have or ideas, please do not hesitate to contact me!  I look forward to hearing from you!





The Lady of the House FloorsOfGold@Gmail.com