Monday, October 10, 2011

Couscous Stuffed Eggplant

This was my first ever stuffed anything.  My mother made stuffed green peppers a few times when we were growing up, but they never were my favorite.  This however I had to try...I love eggplant and I love couscous...I thought it could be a win, win situation and it was!  This is a fabulous main dish recipe for Shabbat!


Couscous Stuffed Eggplant

2 Cups Rice Select Couscous
2 Medium Eggplants
3 TBS. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Yellow Onions, chopped
3 Tomatoes, chopped
2 TBS. Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley
1/2 tsp. Spice Hunter Turmeric

1.  Prepare couscous as directions show on the container, add turmeric and set aside.

2.  Preheat Oven to 375F.

3.  Cut stems off the eggplants, cut in half and cut away the pulp leaving about 1cm of the shell (see video below).  Dice the pulp.  Heat olive oil and 2 Tbs. of water in a skillet.  When hot, add eggplant, garlic, and onions.

4.  Add tomatoes and cook till they have softened, add parsley, lemon juice and couscous.  Stir and remove from heat. 

5.  Fill each eggplant shell with the mixture and bake for 35-40 minutes.