Vegan Challah Bread
1 package of Red Star Yeast
1 cup of warm water
1 small pinch of Florida Crystals
- Whisk together till foamy on the top, I mix this bread recipe in my Kitchen Aid Mixer using the dough hook.
8 TBS. Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Flax Seed,Ground + 12 TBS. water mixed together.
6 TBS. Florida Crystals
1 tsp. Spice Hunter Sea Salt
- Mix together till blended.
- Add, 1 cup at a time:
- Knead for about 5 minutes, give or take. If the dough is too dry add a tablespoon of olive oil. You are going to want the dough elastic, but not too dry.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover for 60-90 minutes depending on the temperature of your home.
- Knead the dough and separate into two sections. Separate each of those sections into three equal parts and roll into three ropes. Braid them together and then tuck the ends under.
- Place on a baking sheet and brush more olive oil over the top. Let sit for 60 minutes for the dough to raise again. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Before putting the loaves into the oven, brush the loaf again with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then brush with olive oil one more time.
- Pop back into the oven for about 20 more minutes. Transfer to your bread board or bowl and serve hot and fresh!
Adapted from Holy Cow Vegan.